Advanced TESOL Certificate

The Advanced TESOL Certificate Program provides an excellent foundation in TESOL practices, research and theory. If you decide you would like to pursue a master’s in TESOL, the coursework in this certificate program applies towards our master’s program in TESOL154. This self-paced program’s duration ranges from two to four quarters depending on the number of courses taken. The classes are offered both online and on-campus.

Participants will learn how to:

  • Apply best practices in computer-assisted language learning to promote learning English
  • Teach English skillfully, employing a variety of principle-based techniques
  • Select and develop successful materials in EFL/ESL
  • Relate the importance of target cultures in language learning


The program consists of four courses—Technology Enhanced language Learning (EESL 521) plus any three of the following 500-level graduate courses:

  • Listening and Speaking Methods for TESOL (EESL 543)
  • Cross-cultural Teaching (EESL 536)
  • Reading Methods for TESOL (EESL 544)
  • Writing Methods for TESOL (EESL 545)


  • Bachelor’s degree or senior/last year standing at bachelor’s level
  • Proof of English language proficiency equivalent to 535 on PBT TOEFL
  • Students must maintain a “B” average to obtain the certificate

Course offerings and formats will vary each quarter. Please visit the Academic Scheduling website for a list of online and on-campus courses offered this quarter.

Registration for online TESOL courses will be handled through Open University.

Domestic Students

Registration for on-campus TESOL courses will be handled through Open University

International Students

Registration for on-campus TESOL courses will be handled through Study Abroad in the USA.

1 Note: A maximum of 12 units may be applied to the MA TESOL option.
To learn more about units of credit earned prior to classification, please visit the Graduate Studies Polices & Procedures

Fill out my online form.

Housing Options


  • Residence halls and apartments
  • Meal plan available

Living on campus is one of the easiest ways to become involved at CSUSB.
The Villages offers on-campus housing for students in three residential environments: Serrano Village, Arrowhead Village and University Village. Living on campus is a significant part of the CSUSB experience for approximately 1,500 students.

Visit Housing and Residential Life for more information.


Homestay for 120 hours tesol certificate

  • Improve English, learn American culture
  • Become a member of the family
  • Families provide three meals per day, transportation to and from campus, a bedroom and utilities (except phone)

International students can participate in the Homestay Program where they live with American families to improve their English and learn American culture firsthand. Host families are proud to explain American ways of life, Students can learn new things, taste new foods and see new places.

The IEP Homestay Program gives IEP students and members of the community an opportunity to learn more about other people and their cultures. By participating in the Homestay Program, you will be able to share your tradition and lifestyles while broadening your own cultural experiences.


For apartments near campus, visit UniversityParent, guide to supporting your student's freshman year.


The IEP Homestay Program gives IEP students and members of the community an opportunity to learn more about other people and their cultures. By participating in the Homestay program, you will be able to share your traditions and lifestyle while broadening your own cultural experiences.

Homestay Benefits

  • American culture and language in a family environment.
  • Invaluable education to both students and host families.
  • Creating memories and friendships that will last a lifetime.

Homestay Includes

Host families are expected to provide students with:

  • A safe environment
  • A private room
  • Meals
  • Transportation to and from the California State University, San Bernardino campus.

Host families are encouraged to include students in family activities in the evenings and on weekends. These activities enrich the students' stay and give them a true picture of American culture.

Homestay Fees

Fees Academic Year
Homestay Application Fee $120.00
Homestay Fees (per month) $900.00
Homestay Fee (per night) $30.00

Apply for Homestay

  1. Download Homestay application.
  2. Submit your application, photos and payment.
    • Mail: send your completed Homestay application form, photos and check by mail to:

      Homestay Coordinator
      International Extension Programs
      California State University, San Bernardino
      5500 University Parkway, Room SH-134
      San Bernardino, CA 92407-2397 USA

      Please make check payable to: "CSUSB"
    • E-mail: send your application to, mail your check separately, e-mail or mail your photos.
    • Fax: send your application form by fax to (909) 537-5905 and mail your photos and check separately.

Visa Requirements

California State University, San Bernardino is authorized to issue I-20 forms (Certificates of Student Eligibility) for full-time intensive English study. Students may then enter the U.S. on an F-1 student visa obtained from the American Embassy or consulate.

F-1 visas are issued on the basis of full-time study. This means that you are expected to attend your scheduled classes every day that you are enrolled in ELP. After three quarters of full-time study, you are eligible for one quarter off.

If you are planning to study in the U.S., you must apply for an F-1 visa.

Download Application for I-20 (Student Visa) Form

Students applying for ELP's Intensive English Program should complete the financial statement located on the application form. Students accepted for study will receive the I-20 form so that they may obtain an F-1 student visa at the nearest U.S. consulate. Students accepted for study will be issued the I-20 form so that they may obtain an F-1 student visa at the nearest U.S. Consulate. Please follow these steps to receive documents from CSUSB.

Health Insurance

Student health center

Effective August 1, 1995, all F-1 visa applicants must agree to obtain and maintain health insurance as a condition of enrollment and receiving an I-20 for the International Extension Programs at California State University, San Bernardino.

All students* are required to purchase insurance through Wells Fargo Insurance. Students may purchase quarter or annual coverage based on their individual need. Please download the brochure for more information.

*Students on a government scholarship that provides insurance are excluded.

Steps to enroll in coverage:

  1. Go to Wells Fargo insurance
  2. Select your school - CSU San Bernardino
  3. Enroll in coverage
  4. Choose your term/coverage

Coverage prices:


TERMS OF COVERAGE ANNUAL 9/17/16 - 9/16/17 FALL 9/17/16 - 1/2/17 WINTER 1/3/17 - 3/27/17 WINTER/SPRING/ SUMMER 1/3/17 - 9/16/17 SPRING 3/28/17 - 6/16/17 SUMMER 6/17/17 - 9/16/17 SPRING/SUMMER 3/28/17 - 9/16/17
Student only $1,203.46 $367.10 $288.75 $852.36 $279.08 $314.53 $578.61
NOTE: Costs below are in addition to the student premium. Dependents must be enrolled for the same term of coverage as student.
Dependent enrollment in this plan is voluntary.
Spouse only $1,203.46 $367.10 $288.75 $852.36 $279.08 $314.53 $578.61
One Child (Age 0-25) only $1,203.46 $367.10 $288.75 $852.36 $279.08 $314.53 $578.61
Two or more Children (Age 0-25) only $2,390.77 $718.42 $561.99 $1,688.35 $542.56 $613.80 $1,141.36